Colossians 2:13-14, “And you, who were dead in your trespasses and the uncircumcision of your flesh, God made alive together with him, having forgiven us all our trespasses, by canceling the record of debt that stood against us with its legal demands. This he set aside, nailing it to the cross.”
The starting point to overcoming bitterness is understanding the significance of our enslavement to sin. We can’t fix ourselves or stop being bitter by our own effort. In Christ, we are empowered to put off the old self and put on the new self.
To overcome sinful bitterness we need to:
- Put off false beliefs about God and put on the truth of God’s Word.
- Put off desires for immediate gratification and put on a desire to please God and submission to His will.
- Put off false thoughts and put on thinking that lines up with God’s truth.
- Put off bitter words and put on speech that glorifies God.
- Put off sinful behavior springing from bitterness and put on God-honoring actions grounded in humility