Hebrews 1:1-2, “Long ago, at many times and in many ways, God spoke to our fathers by the prophets, but in these last days he has spoken to us by his Son, whom he appointed the heir of all things, through whom also he created the world.“
The time between Jesus’ first and second coming makes up the last days — the days we are in right now. This present age is the proclaimed kingdom because it is the age of gospel proclamation to all nations.
The last days are also the age of the Spirit, where the Holy Spirit:
• Brings new birth (John 3:5)
• Equips us to serve Christ, edify the church and spread the gospel
• Produces holiness in us (Rom. 8:33).
The kingdom pattern is still present:
– God’s people: The church, all those who trust in Christ. (Rom. 2:28-29)
– God’s place: Jesus is the true temple of God, and the Spirit dwells in the body of Christ, the church of God (1 Co. 6:19-20).
– God’s rule and blessing: The Spirit of God helps us to obey God and enjoy His blessings.
So there are a few encouraging truths for us in this age:
Although we shall never be sinless this side of heaven, God is at work within us by His Spirit to help us fight sin in our lives and become more like Jesus.
The Christian life is a fight and a race (2 Tim. 4:7). Do not be surprised if you find it a struggle to live for Christ; that is the normal Christian life in this present world.